Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Home(s)

Things I'm craving from State College:

Walking out of my apartment late at night to get College Pizza. Heavy snow. Peanut Butter & Jelly and Green Tea after class. My double bed, reading chair, living room couches and permanently buckled rugs. Cable TV (specifically HBO). Break from work every night to watch Daily Show and Colbert with Nate. George Foreman and his ability to knock out fat. Renting movies from Mike's on late Saturday afternoons. Altered-state walks and talks to Taco Bell. Thursday nights. Spending no more than 5 dollars to drink, if having to pay at all. New music and various iPods plugged into my PA system. Pong. Football Saturdays. Weeknight concerts. 1 glazed, 1 chocolate frosted, and a medium cream and sugar from Dunkin' between classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Rarely waking up before 11:00. Reading the Collegian in a large lecture. Mclanahan's $2.89 subs and Buffalo Chicken cold cuts in my fridge. Not wearing everything 2-3 times before doing laundry (upwards of 10 pounds per load here). Freezing, dark walks home from the library with headphones on. Basketball or racquetball at the IM building, listening to The LION 90.7 during the car ride there and back. Time passing slowly. Impromptu jams in Andy's basement. Blue sky Fridays and day drinking in the courtyard outside of my window.

Home:

Clean bed sheets and bathrooms. Not thinking twice about laundry. Fully-stocked fridge and cabinets. Warm quietude. Wawa hoagies, Wendy's combos and Paisano's Cheesesteaks. Good beer for free. Hot, hearty meals and dessert. Stacks of newspapers (all current) on the living room sofa. Bare feet on hardwood floors. Waffles and bacon on late mornings while watching TV. Digital cable and On Demand. Driving home in my Jeep. Beer pong in the basement, late nights on the front porch. My room (3 1/2 times the size of the room I'm in now). Rows of vinyl in the dining room and the pop of the component buttons on the 70s stereo receiver. Clips from The Times that my parents thought would interest me waiting by the computer keyboard every morning. Laying in the hammock with a Corona on the grass. Cutting through the backyard fence to get to Tim's house, hoping to avoid dog shit. Writing articles on my porch. Knowing that, no matter what, there's always at least three Mama Celestes in the freezer.